The Shíshálh Nation and the Province of British Columbia have committed to negotiate a Decisional Agreement under Section 7 of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act.
This agreement aims to support ongoing work to achieve long-term reconciliation and land use predictability in the shíshálh swiya (territory/birthplace/world).
The Province and the Shíshálh Nation are committed to negotiating a joint decision-making agreement that will provide transparent requirements for wharf applicants, mitigate ecological impacts on the foreshore, protect archaeological resources, and advance collaborative management in the Shíshálh swiya.
Section 7 of the Declaration Act makes provisions for engagement with local governments and potentially affected stakeholders. The preliminary list of local authorities and interested third parties who will be consulted during the negotiations on the decision-making agreement have been identified as follows:
- Sunshine Coast Regional District
- Sechelt District
- Sechelt and District Chamber of Commerce
- Halfmoon Bay Community Association
- Sunny Coast Conservation Association
- Pender Harbor and Area Residents Association
- Holders of private berthage rights and commercial docks in the proposed settlement area